A Child Custody Lawyer in Athens TN Helps When Parents Want to Change the Existing Agreement

by | Sep 27, 2019 | Lawyers

Although the idea of divorced parents being able to spend an equal amount of time with the children sounds good in theory, it usually is not achieved in reality. It often is not the best situation for the youngsters and, sometimes, the distance between residences makes it impossible. A Child Custody Lawyer in Athens TN provides representation when parents want to petition the court for a modification to the existing custody agreement.

A More Recent Viewpoint

The concept of equally shared custody is familiar now, but that type of arrangement did not become common until the 1990s. Before that time, parents and court judges tended to agree that youngsters would benefit from the stability of living in one residence. The custodial parent, usually the mother, was encouraged to allow liberal visitation with the other parent.

Parenting Plans

The trend now is shifting from custodial agreements to parenting plans that are crafted by both parents and documented with the court. Equal time parenting might be possible if the homes are relatively close and the kids don’t have to be driven a long way to school part of the time. If the parents are already divorced but would like to set up an agreement like this, a Child Custody Lawyer in Athens TN can assist.

Considering What Is Best for the Children

Parents often say they want what is best for the children but don’t live up to that statement. The problem with trying to share custody from a relatively long distance is that the kids will eventually become disgruntled about having to spend every Friday evening through Sunday night away from one home. They want to spend time with their friends and be involved in various activities in their hometown.

Ideally, the divorced parents would be civil even if not quite friendly. They would continue living in the same town or at least within a short driving distance until the youngsters are grown. They would acknowledge whether one parent’s lifestyle is better suited to having the children reside in that home most of the time. A law firm such as Chancey-Kanavos can help. Click here for details on this particular organization.