Car accidents can be jarring.
Although you may technically “know” what to do following a car accident, it may be hard to recall the steps when you are in the heat of the moment.
That is why it is imperative that you familiarize yourself with the steps you should take before an auto accident occurs.
Consider taking note of the following steps in case you ever find yourself in a less than favorable car accident situation.
What Is the First Thing I Should Do If I Am Ever Involved in an Auto Accident?
The very first thing you should do is stay calm and check yourself, and any passengers, for injuries. If you are still in the line of danger, such as in the middle of the road, move yourself, and those that are with you, to a safe location.
I’ve Made Sure That Everyone Is Safe. Now What?
1. Stay at the Scene – This may seem like a no-brainer, but you should never leave the scene of an accident, even if your vehicle is still in working condition.
2. Involve the Authorities – Following a significant car accident, you will often need to call the police. There are instances where both parties involved in smaller accidents agree to exchange phone numbers and insurance information, but for serious collisions, the authorities should always be involved.
3. Make Sure the Account You Give Is Accurate – Once the authorities arrive, make sure to give them the details of what happened as accurately as possible. Failure to do so may incriminate you later, and lying will only ruin your credibility.
Always make sure to recount exactly what happened, and don’t be afraid to let the authorities know when you can’t remember something.
4. Take Pictures – Taking pictures of physical damage done to yourself, to others or to your vehicle can be very helpful for record keeping. It can also be used to confirm your side of the story, especially if you end up in court.
5. Contact Your Insurance Company – If you are ever involved in an automobile accident, don’t delay; you must be prompt in letting your insurance company know.
6. Hire a Lawyer If Needed – If you would like representation in the court of law, you may want to look into hiring a car accident lawyer Ponte Vedra.